KU Innovation Park is looking for a director of business services. Here’s how to apply.
The application period for this position has closed and are no longer being accepted.
Who We Are
KU Innovation Park is a nonprofit economic development organization and business incubator in Lawrence, Kan. It’s home to over 65 companies that employ nearly 650 people, supporting an annual payroll of $49 million. Our mission is to create, recruit, grow and retain technology and bioscience businesses in northeast Kansas with the ultimate vision to build a more modern, resilient and diverse regional economy. A public-private partnership, the Park has four primary stakeholders – Douglas County, the City of Lawrence, the Chamber of Lawrence and the University of Kansas.
The Director of Business Services is a key multidisciplinary role that expands, manages, and strengthens the coordination and delivery of KU Innovation Park business services consistent with its operating priorities. The Director will coordinate business support resources for resident companies, manage the student business analysts, and enhance the Park’s accelerator activities. This position is responsible for delivering professional business services to the Park companies, recruiting private industry, and maintaining strong relationships with resident tenants.
How to Apply
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to Lindsey Slater, vice president of strategic communications, at firstname.lastname@example.org by 5:00 p.m. CST on Friday, January 26.
Work with startup companies to promote their growth and success
- Conduct regular assessments with tenants and clients on an individual basis
- Assist in the development of business plans, pitch decks, and financial models
- Support development of grant applications for research and commercialization grant applications including Small Business Innovation Research and Small Technology Transfer grants
- Assist with capital acquisition including incentives, angel funding, and venture capital
- Establish collaborative relationships with research funders
Collaborate and work closely with stakeholders and regional partners
- Serve as the commercialization partner with the University of Kansas across all campuses
- Work with community stakeholders and community partnerships to stimulate economic development in the region
- Maintain and grow database of regional and national capital investment network partners
- Manage and grow the Park’s network of resources, partners, mentors, service providers and supporters
Manage the Park’s student analyst team
- Recruit, hire, and manage the analyst team (generally 2-4 students)
- Assign/monitor analyst projects; work with the Park staff and companies to identify projects
- Oversee analyst budget
Manage Business Accelerator Program and Park virtual companies
- Create, organize, implement, and apply Park business services tools
- Develop and manage talent and job pipeline
- Manage a portfolio of company relationships
- Build a virtual company portfolio as part of the Park’s strategy to create companies
- Coordinate with KU to utilize their assets
Assist with long-range park growth and planning
- Assist with metrics performance
- Participate, as required, in the Park’s capital acquisition strategies and tactics including grant funding
- Work with other Park senior management in expanding industry clusters
- Assist in strategy for Park marketing and promotion
Create, organize, implement and apply KU Innovation Park business services tools
- Lunch & Learn Series
- Technology viability analysis
- Market commercial feasibility (including new methods of market assessment, i.e., customer discovery, actual users), financial feasibility and budget modeling
- Business planning techniques and practices
- Network/consultant pool
- KU applied research engagements
- Capital acquisition
- Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university; MBA or other advanced or professional degree a plus
- 3+ years of relevant professional experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Willingness to relocate or commute to Lawrence, Kan.
- Availability for limited travel
Attributes for Success
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to inspire and connect with others
- Desire to manage and mentor students
- Ability to find creative solutions to problems
- Proven time-management skills and the ability to set and manage priorities and maintain multiple projects and initiatives
Compensation and Benefits
- Be a part of a small, but dynamic professional team of individuals
- Competitive salary in the $85,000 – $105,000 range, based on experience and qualifications
- Full benefits package including PTO, retirement plan, professional development allowance and HSA contribution. Health, dental and life insurance with employer-paid premiums
- Position start date as soon as possible
- Primarily in-person in Lawrence, Kan. with some remote work possible
KU Innovation Park is an Equal Opportunity Employer
KU Innovation Park is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.